DIY Baby Food Creations
Have you ever seen those baby food challenges where the parents try their child’s jarred food and their reaction is pure disgustion? Hey, maybe babies enjoy it because they aren’t used to anything else, but try creating your own tasty baby foods for your little one. The following recipes are easy, wholesome and with no fillers - keeping baby (and you) happier than ever. Please note, always check with your pediatrician before introducing new baby foods to your child.
Sweet Potato Puree
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F and line a baking tray with baking paper/foil.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Using a fork, pierce the potatoes several times, on both sides.
- Place in the oven and roast for about 50 minutes (checking after 45 mins), or until the potato is wrinkled and tender.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool for about 10 minutes, peel the potato and place the flesh in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- If using large sweet potatoes, cut in half, lengthways, before roasting.
- The length of time needed will depend on the size and thickness of the potato.
Blueberry, Chickpea with Rosemary Baby Food Puree
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup chickpeas, strained and rinsed
- Pinch of rosemary, coarsely chopped
- In a blender or food processor, add in teh blueberries, chickpeas and rosemary.
- For a smooth stage 2 puree, puree on a hight [sic] for 1 - 2 minutes or until completely smooth, adding in 1 tbsp of water at a time to achieve this consistency.
- For a chunky stage 3 puree, pulse for 10 seconds at a time, scraping down sides every 30 second and stopping when you have desired consistency, adding in 1 tbsp of water at a time to achieve this consistency.
Homemade Baby Food Carrots
- 1 lb organic carrots (peeled)
- 1 TBS Olive oil
- 2 - 4 TBS water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss carrots in olive oil and spread evenly on a large baking sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir and bake for 20 more or until soft and golden brown.
- Add desired amount of water and roasted carrots to your Vitamix (or other high-powered blender or food processor) and blend until smooth).
Banana Kale Oatmeal Baby Food Recipe
- 2 small bananas
- ½ cup kale
- 2 tsp infant oatmeal cereal
- Water or breastmilk (to desired consistency)
- In a steamer or baby food maker, cut the kale into small pieces and steam for about 7 - 10 minutes (or until soft).
- Add in the banana (cut into small pieces) and blend in a blender or baby food maker.
- Add in the desired amount of water or breastmilk along the oatmeal cereal and continue to blend (or mix).
- Once the puree is at the desired consistency, store in the refrigerator until cool.
- Add lids to the containers, then serve or store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Homemade Avocado Baby Food Recipe
- 1 ripe avocado
- Optional: Breastmilk, formula, or water
- Use a sharp knife to cut the avocado in half.
- Score pit with the knife. Twist the knife to pull out the pit.
- Scoop avocado meat out of its skin with a spoon and put it in a dish.
- Use a fork to mash the avocado into a chunky pure or use a blender or food processor to reach your desired consistency.
- Achieve a thinner consistency by adding breastmilk, formula or water as needed.
Spinach + Apple Baby Food Puree
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- In a medium saucepan, add the apples, water, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until apples are tender when pricked with a fork, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach on top of the apples and cook for 2 more minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree for 1 - 2 minutes or until completely smooth. Serve and enjoy.
Apple, Pear and Banana Baby Food
- 8 apples (sweet variety, like honeycrisp) peeled, core removed and cut cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 pears peeled, core removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 ripe bananas
- Add 3 inches of water to a large pot and bring to boil. If you have a steamer basket add to pot.
- Add apples and pears and cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until a fork slides easily in them.
- Add apples, pears and bananas to food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth with no chunks. I like to add 2 - 3 tablespoons of water to make it easier to blend. I usually do this in 2 batches since it’s a large amount of apples and pears.
- Freeze in storage trays and defrost and serve to your baby as needed.
Inspired by Brooklyn Farmgirl.
Sources: https://www.healthylittlefoodies.com/sweet-potato-puree/ https://babyfoode.com/blog/blueberry-chick-pea-rosemary-chunky-puree/ https://joyfoodsunshine.com/homemade-baby-food-carrots/ https://www.jaroflemons.com/banana-kale-oatmeal-baby-food-recipe/ https://www.verywellfit.com/how-to-make-avocado-baby-food-284436 https://babyfoode.com/blog/spinach-apple-baby-food-puree/ https://brooklynfarmgirl.com/apple-pear-banana-baby-food/
Images: https://babyfoode.com/blog/blueberry-chick-pea-rosemary-chunky-puree/ https://www.healthylittlefoodies.com/sweet-potato-puree/ https://joyfoodsunshine.com/homemade-baby-food-carrots/ https://www.jaroflemons.com/banana-kale-oatmeal-baby-food-recipe/ https://www.verywellfit.com/how-to-make-avocado-baby-food-284436 https://babyfoode.com/blog/spinach-apple-baby-food-puree/ https://brooklynfarmgirl.com/apple-pear-banana-baby-food/