Crunchy cheese snacks, most people can’t live without them! Something about cheese just drives a craze that no one can explain. Stinky, moldy, and fatty, why people love cheese so much is beyond us - it’s just a natural affection, a chemical romance probably.
We’ve decided to stray away from the processed, store-bought boxes of Cheez-its and Goldfish and make our own cheese snacks from scratch because something about these snacks coming straight from the oven changes lives. We’ve tested a spicy southern cheese cracker and, to be honest, may never eat anything else but this for the rest of our lives.
These Spicy Cheese Crackers are made from cheddar cheese, mixed with butter and flour, and then baked to a crisp perfection. If cheddar cheese isn’t for you, don’t write this recipe off, you can substitute the cheddar cheese with any solid form cheese you wish. Muenster, American, Provolone, you name it, could be baked into the same squares of heaven.
Here’s how we do it.
- 8 oz. of sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups shredded)
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper or chili powder
- ¼ tsp of black pepper
- ⅛ tsp of garlic powder
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
Recipe and Images:
- Beat together the cheddar cheese and butter until it becomes a fluffy consistency (about 3 minutes)
- Add in salt, cayenne or chili powder, black pepper, and garlic powder
- Fold in the flour until the mixture is well combined into a dough
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle, making sure it is 1 inch tall
- Refrigerate the dough for half an hour or until it sets
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Lay the dough onto a baking sheet and cut it into squares (however big you desire, nothing wrong with oversized cheese snacks)
- Bake the snacks for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool down before snacking commences!