In celebration of Black History Month, we’re putting a spotlight on comforting soul food that we all know and love. But what’s a spread without a side of buttery biscuits to balance out the smoky and spicy flavors of the meats and the sides? With these Sweet Honey Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Biscuits, we’re putting the flavor in between the flaky layers of dough and letting them shine on it’s own sans entrées. So let’s kick off the meal with some kick-a** biscuits!
What makes these biscuits so special is that they have an element of spicy, sweet, and savory within them. The sweet honey delivers a note of sugar that balances perfectly with the spice of the jalapenos which are then married to the bite of sharp cheddar cheese. On top of that, the texture of these biscuits have a guaranteed, melt-in-your-mouth effect with a cross between a soft cornbread muffin and a flaky biscuit, leaving you salivating for more. Don’t be shocked if you have one too many biscuits and endure food coma before the entrées even come out! Here’s how to “wow” everybody at the dinner table:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese cubed
- 2 medium-sized jalapeños; diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- Add in butter cubes to the flour mixture and mix with your hands until combined
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and honey. Pour into the flour/butter mixture and fold batter until just combined (don’t overmix!)
- Add the cheddar cheese and diced jalapenos to mixture and fold until evenly distributed
- Form dough into 3 inch balls and drop them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each biscuit ball with buttermilk.
- Bake until golden brown (about 10-15 minutes) and enjoy warm!