What is better than a piping hot plate of French toast on a leisurely morning? Crunchy bread soaked in eggs, milk and cinnamon, crisped in the frying pan and topped with butter and maple syrup, this is truly an essential.
We recommend using thick, day old bread. Fresh bread works, but it won't develop the same delicious crust. Avoid bread that is too soft or sweet. We recommend sourdough, challah, Hawaiian sweet bread, brioche, whole wheat, Portuguese sweet bread, schiacciata, or raisin bread for a sweet twist.
Drumroll please! The secret to making crunchy French toast: before dipping in the custard, spread a thin layer of butter onto the bread and scrape off with breadknife so that only a little is left behind.
The more butter you put on the bread slices, the crunchier it will be, but too much will prevent it from absorbing the custard.
You can also cook these delectable treats in a toaster oven.
There are endless tasty variations -- try serving with chocolate syrup and coffee powder for a decadent twist.
Here is the recipe, adapted from Ways and How:
cup of half and half
two tb sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon
1. Pre-toast the bread until it is firm but not browned.
2. In a bowl wide enough to submerge the bread slices, whisk the eggs, half and half, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Don't whip into a froth; stop once everything is incorporated.
3. Before dipping the bread into the custard mix, spread a thin layer of butter onto the bread. Scrape with breadknife so only a little is left behind.
4. Add nonstick spray or a thin coat of butter to a skillet over medium high heat.
5. One at a time, dip the bread slices into the custard mixture for approximately 10 seconds (longer for thicker bread). Immediately transfer each slice to the hot skillet. Make sure both sides are evenly coated with the custard but take them out before they get soggy. The longer the bread sits in the mixture, the thicker it will be when done.
6. Fry until golden brown, then flip.
7. Serve immediately with syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon powder.