Salads are freaking great, ya'll, and I'm tired of hearing they're only fit for rabbits.
Seriously; they make you feel great (when fresh and done right) and are often chock full of healthy ingredients that taste amazing when all combined in a big bowl and mixed with a dressing.
Plus, salads can be customized to fit everybody's preference: Vegetarians, vegans, gluten-intolerant folk and people who don't really want a salad but just want some lettuce with their toppings (chef's salad, anybody?) can typically find a salad to suit their needs.
However, there's nothing worse than buying a prepackaged spring mix salad and beginning to devour it only to discover a decomposing bat lurking inside of it!
Oh my gosh.
According to USA Today, The CDC reports that two Floridian diners made the mistake of digging into a salad they bought at Walmart only to find a dead bat tucked within all those supposedly healthy greens.
They sent the dead bat to a CDC lab to test for rabies; additionally, Fresh Express recalled the entirety of its Organic Marketside Spring Mixes that had a "best if used by" date of April 14 to try to ensure this didn't happen again.
"Fresh Express takes matters of food safety very seriously and rigorously complies with all food safety regulations including the proscribed Good Agricultural Practices," they said in a statement, per USA Today.
Walmart officials also got right to work to make sure anybody who bought one of the mixes in the southeastern U.S. was refunded pronto, but seriously -- those two poor people must be so upset!
The CDC is checking the victims for rabies, which are sometimes found in bats, but at the moment the two seem to be all right, although probably distressed.