To all the veggie lovers out there, you’re going to want to buckle up - this Veggie Alfredo Lasagna recipe will take you for a wild ride. Lasagna is a comfort Italian dish, usually beefed up with meat, ricotta cheese, and savory tomato sauce (yum). Today we are focusing on the traditional lasagna’s healthier sister and replacing the meat and tomato sauce with veggies and a cauliflower-based alfredo sauce that will rock your world. This recipe is not necessarily “healthy” due to the layers of cheese and the carb-heavy pasta but it definitely will leave you less guilty while you veg on the couch post-dinner. You can use any types of veggies you want, but we opted for those that has low water content because who likes a watery lasagna? Broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and kale are safe choices for this recipe. The cherry on top (or in this case, between the layers) of this recipe is the drool worthy cauliflower alfredo sauce. It is so light, yet flavorful and pairs well with the less flavorful veggies. This is truly a power-packed meal that you don’t want to miss. RECIPE Ingredients
For the cauliflower sauce
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of salted butter
- 5 cups cauliflower florets
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- ½ tsp pepper (more to taste)
- ½ cup milk (more to taste)
- Parmesan cheese to taste, grated
For the lasagna
- 10 lasagna noodles, your choice of wheat, plain, veggies lasagna
- 4 cups of the divine cauliflower alfredo sauce
- 5 cups of assorted veggies of your choice (we used broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and kale)
- 3 cups mixed shredded cheese (we used mozzarella, provolone, grated parmesan, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cauliflower-based Alfredo Sauce:
- Sauté garlic with the tbsp of butter in a pan until soft and fragrant
- Bring the 6 cups of water or veggie broth to a boil in a big pot and boil the cauliflower florets until tender (about 10 minutes). Do not drain.
- Scoop the boiled cauliflower out of the pot and place into a blender. Add 1 cup of boiled veggie broth or water to the blender along with sautéed garlic/butter, salt, pepper, and milk.
- Blend until the sauce is a smooth consistency.
For the Veggie Lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a new pot of water to a boil and cook the lasagna until slightly tender but still stiff. Avoid cooking too long or else it would be mushy when it bakes in the oven.
- In a 13x9 inch baking dish, start building the lasagna layers by spreading a layer of cauliflower sauce and drizzle a bit of olive oil on top to prevent lasagna from sticking to the pan
- Layer on lasagna, side by side, then layer ½ cup of cauliflower sauce on top of the pasta, ¼ of the veggies on top of the sauce, a sprinkle of salt, ½ cup of mixed shredded cheese onto the veggies, and then another ¼ cup of cauliflower sauce
- Repeat step 4 until the baking dish is full, making sure the top layer is the lasagna noodles. Add on one more layer of sauce and the remaining 1 cup of mixed shredded cheese
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes
- Remove the foil and bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes until cheese is golden
- Remove from oven, let cool, cut into squares and serve!