- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds lamb shanks or lamb neck slices
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine or dry sherry wine
- 2 quarts store-bought or homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 scallions, trimmed and halved
- 2 medium cloves garlic, smashed
- One 2-inch stick cinnamon
- One 1-inch piece ginger, smashed
- 4 star anise pods
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 8-12 dried bird's eye chiles, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons toasted cumin seeds, coarsely ground, plus extra whole seeds for serving
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 servings hand-pulled noodles (lamian) or store-bought lamian or ramen noodle
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly
- 8 fresh cilantro sprigs, cut into 1-inch pieces
A tasty traditional Chinese dish, lamb soup is typically accompanied by bread. This recipe goes with hand-pulled noodles. Using well-seasoned lamb and noodles, this soup is based on a tasty broth that makes this dish as comfortable as it is delicious. Using a pressure cooker to get rich flavors out of our ingredients, in less time than in a regular pot. And flaming the lamb for extra flavor before cooking it with the soup, which results in more tender meat. On top of that the seasoning used in this recipe will enhance the flavor of the soup and result in a soothing bowl of tasty broth and lamb. This recipe saves us time as you can have it ready in less than two hours, with the pressure cooking. We are going to use broth lamb neck slices, salt, vegetable oil, Shaoxing wine or dry sherry wine, chicken stock, scallions, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, and anise pods. Our topping will be based with some canola oil, garlic, chili pepper or Thai chiles, cumin, peppercorns, white pepper, soy sauce, and some sugar. And hand-pulled noodles or ramen noodles for serving topped with sliced scallions and fresh cilantro. You can easily find these ingredients in a market, if not already found in your pantry.
- The first thing we are making is our broth, starting with some seasoning for our lamb based on the salt and letting it chill at room temperature for 2 hours top. In a pressure cooker, or electric one we are going to heat oil until it starts smoking and then we cook the lamb 8 minutes on each side, remove it and drain the fat and place it in a separate bowl. Into your cooker add the wine and scrape any browns until the alcohol has cooked, add the chicken stock and water and add the lamb to the pot. Lock your pressure cooker lid and change it to high pressure.
- After it reaches high pressure, cook it for an extra 40 minutes, and maintain high pressure. Use the release method and remove the lid, so steam can escape. Drain the broth and remove any solids, get as much liquid as you can. Then remove the meat from bones and discard the bones. Add extra oil in the pressure cooker at medium heat, add your ginger, garlic, scallions, and star anise, cook for about a minute, and add the clear broth, simmer, and season with salt. Let it cook for another 15 minutes or so. Now is time to start with the topping. Here we are going to cook the oil and serve lamb fat with minced garlic in a saucepan, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add chilies, cumin peppercorn, and white pepper.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool for several minutes, pour soy sauce and sugar. Add the reserved lam until it is well incorporated and add extra salt for flavor. Our last step is serving, before doing so we want to make sure our broth doesn’t have any vegetables, we are going to remove our scallions, garlic, and ginger as well as the anise pods from it. Boil a large pot of water, add your hand-pulled noodles, or make your own batch.
- Cook them until they reach your preferred texture and avoid them from sticking. Drain your noodles once they are nicely cooked, serve broth in bowls and top it with the noodles, mix, and fold your noodles. Get half cup of the lamb mixture and some of the sauce over the noodles. Finish with nice dust of scallions and cilantro and serve. Enjoy this lamb soup warm.