- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12.5 oz.) can chicken breast, drained and shredded
- 1/2 (15 oz.) can green enchilada sauce (or 1, 10 oz. can)
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14 oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, optional
Nothing is better than having a recipe that basically cooks itself, right? That’s basically what this 8-can chicken soup is like. If it weren’t clear from the name, the crux of this soup is comprised of eight different cans of assorted ingredients. Beans, corn, tomatoes, chicken and green chiles are some of the many things tucked away into this soup, but our favorite part, apart from the flavor and how filling it is, is the fact that it can be made in as long as it takes you to bring it to a boil. We’re talking under 20 minutes - victory!
That’s right, pour all your ingredients into your stock pot and then bring it all to a boil. We used only one can of chicken broth, since we like ours to be pretty thick, but you can add another you if want a slightly soup-ier quality. While you could stick with your eight, base ingredients, plus your taco seasoning, we think that bolder is better, so we amped up the flavor by adding more cumin and chili powder, along with garlic and onion powder to round things out. Are they totally necessary given all the flavor from the other ingredients? No. Do they take the recipe from good to great? Absolutely.
Is there anyone you know that wouldn’t benefit from a filling, healthy, 20-minute meal? No, probably not. If you want to use freshly diced chicken breast in here and have it cook while the soup boils, that’s fine too, but we’ve found we love just how easy our version is and can’t get enough of it. No stress, no hassle, and everybody gets to come together at the table and enjoy a meal together. Now that’s a recipe we can get behind.
- Place pinto beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chicken, enchilada sauce, green chiles and chicken broth in a large stock pot over medium-high.
- Stir in taco seasoning, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder, then add salt and pepper, if desired. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve hot, garnished with sour cream, tortilla strips and avocado. Enjoy!