- 1 lb thick cut pork chop
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 2 teaspoons shaoxing wine optional
- 1/2 teaspoon chinese five spice powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper optional
There is a reason we vouch for homemade recipes anytime, any day. Apart from the fact that it’s way cheaper, it is easily adjustable. You can choose to remove or substitute any ingredients you are allergic to or don’t like. The success of customizing your dish feels good and builds your cooking confidence.
So, what is Char Siu? Char siu, in simple words, is a Chinese Barbeque Pork! The recipe builds on the standard Char Siu recipe, with an air fryer replacing an oven. This recipe isn’t tough to make at home. Especially when using the Air Fryer, it heats up faster. With the air circulation, you’re going to make a better Char Siu.
Char Siu is very juicy, sweet, and delicious. You might wonder what makes this recipe yummy… it’s the marinade. There is a chance you’ve had Char Siu if you’ve been to an American Chinese Buffet. You can serve Char Siu with some rice or grilled vegetables. So how do you prepare Char Siu?
- Cut your pork chop into 1-inch pieces and pierce the pork slices with a fork.
- To make the Sauce: Combine your honey, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, spice powder, and white pepper in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Place the pork slices in a bowl or zip lock bag and pour half of the sauce into it. Mix them and ensure that every piece is well coated with the marinade.
- Let the pork marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. The longer the pork stays in the marinade, the better, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and discard the marinade. Place the pork in a single layer into the air fryer basket with some spaces – of at least ¼ inch – between the pieces. Then set the air fryer to 375º F for 8 minutes, or until nicely brown.
- While cooking the Char Siu, place the other half of the sauce in the microwave, cook on high for about 45-60 seconds. Stir it every 15 seconds, to thicken the sauce a little.
- Now, remove the pork from the air fryer and place it on a cutting board to rest for about 10 minutes. Brush the char siu with the cooked sauce and serve.