- 1-7 ounce box Odense Almond Paste
- Double pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
- 3 pounds baking apples (Granny Smith, Cortland apples or a mix)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Milk and sugar for crust
- Adjust the rack to the lowest or second-lowest rung in the oven. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment and set it aside.
- Roll crust to fit a 9" pie plate and fit into the dish. Shape Almond Paste into a flat disk and place between wax paper. Roll out to a 9-inch circle and press into bottom and up sides of piecrust. Refrigerate.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into a large bowl (makes 7-8 cups). Toss with lemon juice.
- Whisk sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until mixed and toss with apples.
- Remove pie crust from the refrigerator and fill with apples. Dot apples with butter. Roll second crust, top apples, seal edges, and cut steam vents. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on the sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake for 35-40 minutes more or until apples are soft and bubbling. If the crust is browning too fast, tent pie with foil.
- Remove the pie dish to a wire rack and let set it up for 30 minutes before cutting.