- 1-7 ounce box Odense Almond Paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups mixed apples, peeled, cored and diced small
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons apple juice concentrate or boiled cider (Boiled cider is a sweet dark syrup found in most health food stores or on line at King Arthur Flour.)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour plus more for dusting counter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- 1-14.1 ounce package refrigerated pie crust or 2 homemade pie crusts
- Pinch each: salt, nutmeg
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, lemon juice, and sugar. Cook until apples start to break down. While apples are cooking: Whisk apple juice concentrate or boiled cider, flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg until mixed. Turn heat to low and pour mixture over apples. Stir until combined and thickened. After that, pour into a pie plate and refrigerate. Note: Filling can be made 3 days ahead and refrigerated for ease of preparation.
- While the filling is cooling: Preheat oven to 425°F and adjust oven rack to second-lowest rung. Line rimless cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll Odense Almond Paste (like a pie crust) on a lightly floured counter. Cut out 25 disks, using a 2 inch round cookie cutter, and set aside.
- Roll out one pie crust on the same floured counter, keeping the other one refrigerated. Cut out 25 disks of pie crust, using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Place 12 disks on parchment paper. Brush disks with beaten egg and lay an almond disk on top. Lay one cake pop stick on each round (almost to center) and gently press into dough.
- Fill each disk with 1 teaspoon (measuring spoon) cooled pie filling, keeping away from the edge of the crust. Lightly brush edges of top pie crust with egg and lay over pie filling, matching edges together. Gently press edges together, especially around the pop stick, and press together with fingertips. Seal edges with flour-dipped fork tines. Repeat until all pops are covered.
- Brush tops with egg and sprinkles with sugar. Make a small X in the middle of each pop. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. After that, cool on the wire rack. In conclusion repeat with remaining ingredients. Store in plastic bags for 3 days.