Odense Almond Paste gives this classic cookie an extra rich flavor and moist dough.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking trays with parchment.
- Finely chop almonds with 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, or with a nut chopper. Set aside.
- Add grated almond paste and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a mixing bowl. Beat until the texture of fine crumbs. This step can be done in a food processor and then poured into a mixing bowl.
- Add butter to the almond mixture and beat until creamy. Add egg and yolk, beating well between each. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Whisk flour with salt and fold into butter mixture until just incorporated
- With a one tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out dough and level off. Shape into balls and roll balls in reserved sugar-almond mix.
- Place balls on cookie tray about 2 inches apart (work with one tray at a time keeping the remaining dough in the refrigerator).
- Make a small indentation in the middle of each ball with your index finger or thumb. Fill each indentation with jam, being careful not to overfill.
- Bake cookies for 13 -15 minutes or until very lightly golden. Cool on wire racks. Repeat until all dough is used up.