- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 5 to 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pearl spelt
- 8 oz Italian sausage
- 1 large bunch of spinach, thick stems removed, roughly chopped (about 4 cups, packed)
- 1 tbsp extra herbs, chopped (fresh thyme, fresh basil, fresh rosemary)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crumble sausage and brown it in a skillet. Drain fat and set the sausage aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add potatoes, 5 cups of stock, and spelled. Turn up heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes or until spelt is tender.
- When spelled is tender, add sausage, spinach and fresh herbs. Add more stock if necessary or desired, bring soup back up to a simmer and let cook for another 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.