Serves: 6 people
Cooking Time: 2 hour 15 minutes
- 1 package frozen and thawed macaroni and cheese
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup panko
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups oil, for frying
- Scoop 1 cup of the macaroni and cheese into a 6 well muffin tin lined with large liners. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove the chilled macaroni and cheese from the fridge. Using a tablespoon measure or melon balled, scoop out the center of each macaroni cake, reserving the macaroni from the middle.
- Place 2 tablespoons of cheese in the center of each macaroni cake then cover with the reserved macaroni, using your hands to press together and form into a tightly formed ball.
- Once all of the macaroni cakes have been formed, bread each one. Dip each one into the flour, the eggs then the breadcrumbs, assuring each one is thoroughly coated.
- Once all of the cakes have been breaded, place them in the fridge to chill. While the cakes are chilling add the oil to a large pot set over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, about 5-7 minutes, add each cake one at a time and allow to fry for 3-4 minutes or until and even golden brown.
- Place the finished macaroni cakes on a serving dish then garnish with additional bacon crusted and parsley. Enjoy Bacon Crusted Mac and Cheese Lava Cake!