- 1 head garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts halved lengthwise, washed, and chopped small
- 5 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Ground black pepper
- Minced fresh chives or scallions
- Bacon bits
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar
- A drizzle of melted (or melted and browned) butter
Baked Potato Soup constitutes everything you like about a baked potato, like the cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon bits. Once you taste it, you will be obsessed.
- Start this recipe by creating the broth base. Melt the butter and cook the leeks and then the minced garlic.
- Once those veggies cooked in butter, add the broth, bay leaves, garlic head, and salt.
- Add the chopped potatoes and simmer this until the heads of garlic are soft.
- Then remove the bay leaves and garlic heads. Grind the heads into a paste and put back in the soup.
- Add the sour cream. Finally, blend to achieve classic potato soup texture.