- 1 pound pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 6 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
One classic is the BBQ chicken pizza, topped with mozzarella cheese, Gouda, red onion, and some cilantro. It makes the well-known BBQ chicken pizza. This just works perfectly on a warm night or even cool days of spring. Pizza has no time, season, or moment. Let’s make our own BBQ chicken sheet pan pizza. This is not our regular BBQ chicken pizza recipe, this is a slightly different recipe that replaces cilantro with jalapeno, and instead of using two kinds of cheese, uses one. And it works perfectly on top of a thin crust that is crisp and golden.
Honestly, the hardest part of making pizza is the dough, it simply takes a long time, and it's better to let it rest overnight. Or you could simply buy pre-made dough from any grocery store or supermarket. Still, remember to let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Taking the dough out of the process, the next thing we need to figure out is the chicken we are going to use as well as our BBQ sauce.
If you have a leftover chicken that works just fine, just shred your chicken by hand or you can also poach your own chicken or even buy a rotisserie chicken at the store. As far as the BBQ sauce goes we can make our own batch of smoky BBQ sauce using butter, grated onion, a can of crushed tomatoes, cider vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, chipotle chiles in adobo, liquid smoke and sage with some salt for seasoning. Simply fry your onion in some butter and add some salt to it.
Then add the chopped chipotle, the key here is the more you add the hotter it will be, so if you are looking for a mild level, the fewer the better. And chop them in adobo. Then add it to your onions and add the tomatoes, vinegar, molasses, sugar, chopped sage, and liquid smoke to get that smoky taste. Let it simmer for one hour. And check for flavoring and heat before serving or using. Or you could buy a nice smokey BBQ sauce.
We are going to work with our pizza dough, making sure it doesn’t break and if it happens, it’s as easy as going back to square one. Let your dough chill before working out with it. Stretch it and make sure it is free of tearing or anything like that. Now we are topping our pizza, best is to mix the BBQ sauce with the chicken so it stays moist, then once you add your BBQ chicken, add some cheese to your dough, and top it with slices of onions and jalapenos for that extra heat. Top it with any remaining cheese.
There is no specific order, you can assemble your pizza however you prefer. Place your pizza in your heated oven and let it bake for 15 minutes or until the dough turns golden brown and your cheese is melted. Cut it in evenly squares and serve while it's hot. Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place a rack in the lowest position.
- Place the dough in the center of the baking sheet and drizzle with the oil. Turn the dough to coat it well, spreading some of the oil over the baking sheet.
- Mix together the shredded chicken and barbecue sauce in a bowl, then spread evenly over the pizza dough, leaving a little bit of a border around the pizza.
- Sprinkle evenly with two-thirds of the cheese, scatter the red onion and then the jalapeño, and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Set the pan on lowest shelf of the oven and bake until the cheese melts and the pizza is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve hot.