- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 8 oz tempeh, cubed
- 1/3 cup bbq, sauce
- 5 cups kale, about 1 bunch, thick stems removed
- 1/2 cup carrots, baby carrots or sticks
- 2 slices vegan corn bread
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup hummus
- Sliced radishes, optional
This is a vegan meal you will not want to miss – especially if you are a vegetarian… This meal is delicious and loaded with tons of nutrients! Now, imagine having protein-rich Tempeh in a bowl, coated with BBQ sauce, with a bunch of lightly wilted kale, a slice of cornbread garnished with some vegan butter, and a dollop of hummus across the other side of the bowl.
Also, having some crunchy carrots and radishes by the sides. All these in just one recipe… Isn’t that won-tempeh-ful and fan-kale-tic? That’s an excellent description of what BBQ Tempeh Kale Bowl looks like! BBQ Tempeh Kale Bowl is a healthy and soul-satisfying meal – which is perfect for lunch and dinner. Although BBQ Tempeh Kale Bowl is easy to make (with less than 30 minutes preparation time).
However, it can be tasking when you don’t have the Tempeh, Cornbread, and BBQ sauce already prepared. Therefore, before preparing your BBQ Tempeh Kale Bowl, start by making your Tempeh, Cornbread, and BBQ sauce first! So, to prepare your Tempeh, soak your soybeans in water for at least 12 hours (or overnight). Then dehull, split and drain your beans before cooking them with fresh water in a large pot. Cook until the beans are tender but not mushy, 45 minutes. You can prepare your zip-top bags with the beans cook. After cooking, drain, and cool the beans.
Then transfer the beans into a dry bowl, add in vinegar, and mix. Also, sprinkle the tempeh starter and mix. Fill the bags with the beans and flatten it out evenly. Incubate your Tempeh until its firm as cake, or up to 48 hours. Remove the bag from the incubator and cool the Tempeh to room temperature. Make your cornbread by combining flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir in milk, egg, and vegetable oil until well combined.
Pour the batter in a pan and bake in a preheated oven of 400°F for about 20-25 minutes. Prepare your BBQ sauce by combining tomato sauce and paste, apple cider vinegar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire, and spices in a saucepan. Bring the sauce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly and store. Now, you can start preparing your BBQ Tempeh Kale.
- Place a non-stick skillet over high heat and add olive oil. Cut your Tempeh into cubes, and once the oil is hot, add the tempeh cubes. Sauté until brown, or about 3-4 minutes and flip frequently.
- Then turn the heat to low and pour your BBQ sauce slowly into the skillet. Toss the cubes in the sauce to coat and push the cubes to one side of the pan.
- Then add sliced kale. Turn off heat and cover with a lid – to let the kale lightly wilts.
- Slice your cornbread (and microwave if cold) and top it with vegan butter. Lastly, divide and throw in your kale into the bowls. Add, in each bowl, some coated BBQ sauced tempeh and a slice of cornbread! Don’t forget the carrots and a dollop of hummus on the sides too… Add radishes if you want and serve them warm. Bon appetite!