Serves: 2 portions
Cooking Time: 4-5 hours
- 400 gr beef chuck roll, cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, cut in chunks
- 150 grams tomato in can
- ½ cup apple cider
- 70 ml red wine
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 5 juniper berries
- 1 handful cranberries
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary and thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 150 grams instant polenta
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- Sea salt and black pepper
- To prepare the Beef, clean and trim the fat. Cut the beef chuck in cubes and season it with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sear the beef on both sides, until brown in color. Remove the beef and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the sliced onions and carrots to the slow cooker. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the red wine and reduce until half. Add the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, honey, apple cider, tomato can. Season with salt and pepper, stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. During the last 2 hours of cooking, add the cranberries.
- For the polenta: Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and Rosemary. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add 250ml water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta, stirring until the polenta is soft and thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove herbs and serve the stew over the polenta. Top with rosemary.