- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounce can beer
- 12 ounces cooked bratwurst, halved lengthwise and sliced
InstructionsPrint This Recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and shallots; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is very soft and golden.
- Once softened, add flour and chicken broth. Stir until flour dissolves. Add celery salt, mustard powder, pepper, and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Gradually stir in cheddar cheese and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese melts. Stir in the bratwurst and beer. Continue cooking and stirring until heated through.
- Serve Brats And Beer Cheddar Chowder with crackers, beer and enjoy!