Serves: 4-6 people
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounce can beer
- 12 ounces cooked bratwurst, halved lengthwise and sliced
We are deep in Oktoberfest right now, and how better to celebrate than with this Brats And Beer Cheddar Chowder! Pair it with beer-glazed brat sliders for the perfect Oktoberfest dinner!
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and shallots; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is very soft and golden.
- Once softened, add flour and chicken broth. Stir until flour dissolves. Add celery salt, mustard powder, pepper, and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Gradually stir in cheddar cheese and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese melts. Stir in the bratwurst and beer. Continue cooking and stirring until heated through.
- Serve Brats And Beer Cheddar Chowder with crackers, beer and enjoy!