- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place the broccoli with ½ cup of water in a glass bowl covered in saran wrap in the microwave for 3-4 minutes while you prepare the rest of the soup.
- Simmer vegetable broth and chopped onion for 5 minutes in large saucepan, until onions are soft. Add milk and lightly sprinkle the flour, mixing it at the same time.
- Cook, stirring constantly until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. Stir in cooked broccoli florets.
- Season to taste.
- Serve immediately.