- 3 medium aubergines/eggplants
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 chili, sliced (optional)
- Peel from 1/2 lemon (save the juice for the dip)
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons sunflower seeds (or nuts)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- Raw seasonal vegetables
If you like hummus and muhammara, this is the perfect dip for you! Heat up your oven, and get ready to prepare this gorgeous looking dip!
You will need aubergines, oil, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, sliced clove garlic, sliced chili (optional), lemons, oregano, sunflower seeds or nuts, sesame seeds, tahini, and salt.
- Heat the oven to 450ºF, then puncture the aubergines using the edge of the knife and place them in a baking dish.
- Roast the skin until it turns black and the flesh becomes tender, this should take about 45-60 minutes.
- Add oil, fennel seeds, garlic, chili, cumin seeds, and lemon peel to a saucepan. Allow the oil to soak up the flavors without burning.
- Then chop sunflower seeds, add it together with sesame seed to the pan. When it smells fragrant and the seeds look little crunchy, take the pan off the heat.
- Separate the crunch elements using a sieve, add a pinch of salt, and let it cool down. Once aubergines are ready, divide them, scoop the flesh, sieve it, and press out the liquid.
- Transfer the aubergine into a food processor, add aromatic oil, tahini, and lemon juice. Pulse it to break it up and make it creamy yet still little chunky.
- Add more lemon, salt, and pepper to taste. Drizzle all the seeds on top, including the lemon peel, fried garlic, and serve it with raw seasonal vegetables.