Serves: 12 people
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- For the Rolls:
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- For the Filling:
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
We've been craving freshly baked, frosting-covered cinnamon rolls for the last two weeks straight, so we decided it was time to hit the test kitchen to make 'em with some Miss Jones! Within minutes of putting these sweet, perfectly spiced little spirals into the oven, we had a crowd in the kitchen, so consider yourself warned. Luckily our recipe bakes up 2 pans' worth of these incredible cinnamon rolls, so there's plenty to share. Let's roll!
- When you're rolling your dough out, try to keep it an even 1/8 inch thick and as rectangular as possible. Flour is your best friend; don't be afraid to use it! Try to roll the dough and filling up as tightly as possible, even if it means taking things slowly.
- Wet your proofing towel and toss it in the microwave for 1 minute to help your dough proof more quickly. Repeat as needed throughout the proofing process to keep things warm.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine cake mix, flour, and yeast. Add in water slowly on low speed until the dough forms a ball around the hook, 3 - 4 minutes. Continue to mix on medium speed until the dough is very smooth, 3 - 4 more minutes.
- Transfer the dough to another lightly oiled bowl and let rise in a warm place, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Punch the dough down, and split the dough in half. Form back into a ball and cover again for 20 - 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the filling. In a medium-size bowl, mix together cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar until well-combined. Melt the butter or coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large 9x13 baking dish with melted butter.
- Working with one ball of dough at a time, flour your work surface (and hands) and gently turn out the dough onto it. Roll dough out into a large rectangle, about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. With a pastry brush or spatula, brush the entire surface with 2 tablespoons of melted butter or coconut oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Roll up the dough (with the longest side closest to you) into a very tight spiral. Cut the spiraled roll into 12 even pieces. Place the rolls on the greased baking dish. Loosely cover finished rolls with plastic wrap and let the rolls rise in a warm place for 25 - 30 minutes. Repeat with the remaining ball of dough.
- Bake cinnamon rolls for 25 - 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- When the rolls are finished baking, let them cool in the pan completely. Top 'em with some Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting just before serving for the PERFECT cinnamon roll experience.