- 2 cups rolled old fashioned oats
- 2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup wheat germ toasted in a pan for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and fragrant
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup can also use honey
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup candy coated chocolate chips or miniature chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
You remember those mornings as a kid, waking up to the sun shining, running to the kitchen grabbing yourself a bowl, getting some milk, and making yourself some tasty cereal? I sure do. Even as an adult I still LOVE me some cereal. But what if I told you there was a way to make cereal even funner? Even tastier? Maybe you're thinking no way, that's impossible. I have my favorite cereal and nothing's making it better. Well I'd ask you to give me a minute and listen to what I have to say here. I have a recipe here that takes all the joy of cereal and turns it into a super tasty snack that you're just going to love.
They're called cereal bars and they're so good they'll probably end up making them illegal. And what's even better is that they make a great on the go choice. Whether you have a bunch of hungry mouths to get out the door or are in a hurry yourself these are the ultimate grab it and go snack. They make cereal portable, what's not to love? Alright so here's how you make em. You need some basic ingredients. Get together some rice cereal, old fashioned oats (healthy and tasty), peanut butter (organic or otherwise), corn syrup, brown sugar, and wheat germ. What you're going to do is add together the cereal, oats, and wheat germ then stir them up to get a nice mix.
Then mix together the corn syrup, peanut butter, and brown sugar over a pot on the stove over medium heat, wait until it melts. Then combine the mixtures and stir them together. Then you'll put them into a prepared pan and chill them 60 minutes until they're ready. Then it's bon appetit! These bars make for a great on the go snack or a delicious early morning kickstart! Try them out and let us know what you think!
- Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper, then coat the pan and parchment with cooking spray.
- Place the oats, rice cereal and wheat germ in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Place the corn syrup, peanut butter and brown sugar in a pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes or until peanut butter has melted, stirring occasionally. Pour the peanut butter mixture into the oat mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Press the cereal bar mixture firmly into the prepared pan. Gently press chocolate chips into the top of the bars.
- Chill for 60 minutes or until firm. Cut into 12 pieces, then serve.