Serves: 2-3 egg boats
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cold
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Gouda cheese shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 oz spinach
- 2 tomatoes, 1 yellow and 1 red
- Salt to taste
- Mix together flour and salt in a bowl to create a tart shell, then cut cold butter into small cubes. Add the butter and olive oil to the dry mixture and stir/kneed until the consistency becomes that of a coarse meal, and butter has completely dissolved.
- In a small cup, combine the egg yolk, ice water and stir well together. Add the egg mixture and mix together well.
- Dust working surface with a very small amount of flour. Shape the dough into a disk on a foil (dusted slightly with flour).
- Refrigerate the dough overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the dough in 3 tart shells, cover with an aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the crust cools down, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, milk in a small bowl. Then, add cheese and salt and mix well.
- Divide the egg mixture into 3 equal parts and pour it into each of 3 tart shells.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top of each little tart.
- Bake these egg tartlets for 20-30 minutes, until tart shell is golden brown and the filling top turns yellow-brownish and starts to rise, or when the tooth pick inserted in the middle of the tart comes out clean.