- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 12 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Cornflakes, crushed
- Peel onion and slice into rings, about 1/2 inch thick. Place rings in a bowl and covers with buttermilk. Toss. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with foil and set it aside.
- Remove onions from the buttermilk and group them into pairs. A small onion ring will need to fit inside a larger ring, so try them out as you go. Slice mozzarella sticks in half. Place sliced cheese into the space between the two onion rings, creating a cheesy circle. Each onion ring will use about 1 whole stick of cheese. Continue until all onions and cheese have been used.
- Pour wheat flour into a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the 3 eggs. And in another bowl, mix salt, black pepper, panko, cornmeal, and crushed Cornflakes. Gently dip the onion rings first into the flour, then in the egg, and finally, coat thoroughly in the panko/Cornflakes mixture. Place coated onion rings on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until rings look crispy and golden brown. Then remove from oven, serve with marinara sauce or ranch and enjoy!