- 4 (4-ounce) cube steaks
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 38 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 3/4 cups milk, divided
- 3 1/2 cups peanut or vegetable oil
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
InstructionsPrint This Recipe
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper evenly over steaks.
- In a large bowl, combine saltine cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, 3/4 cup milk, and a pinch of salt.
- Dredge steaks in cracker mixture, dip in milk mixture and dredge again in cracker mixture. Make sure steaks are thoroughly coated.
- Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet and heat to 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry steaks for 3 to 4 minutes, turn, and continue frying for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack.
- Carefully drain hot oil from skillet, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet. Whisk together the remaining 4 cups of milk, 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Add milk mixture to skillet, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until it becomes a thick gravy.
- Serve steak alongside mashed potatoes and green beans. Garnish with parsley and cover in gravy. Enjoy!