- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces dry rigatoni pasta (1 box)
- 24 ounces Marinara sauce store-bought or homemade
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh basil optional, for garnish
There is almost nothing to this amazing one-pan Italian classic. Six ingredients, thirty minutes … Grab some wine and garlic bread and call it a day. This recipe is all about comfort, convenience, and easy clean up without skimping.
The Cookie Rookie’s story should be a motivating tale for anybody who is daunted by the thought of cooking. The 1,000-plus recipes she shares online are essentially a journal of how she learned to cook. Believe it or not, she did not even really start exploring the kitchen until after age thirty. The result of her undertaking is a collection of no-frills recipes that are great for a quick and comforting meal.
First things first: cook the chicken. A twelve-inch skillet would probably be best, but a stock pot works just the same. One quick detail, a bit of Italian dressing goes a long way in adding flavor to the chicken as it cooks to browned perfection. Salt and pepper to taste. This is going to happen fast, so get ready (sounds like a life lesson I once learned … ). Alright, ready set go. Add your pasta and marinara. Fill the empty marinara jar with water, poor it in, and stir until it is well incorporated. Bring that baby to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for fifteen minutes or so. When you’re ready for this magic trick to be over (don’t wait too long), grate some parmesan and toss on some shredded mozzarella, then keep the skillet on the heat for another two or three minutes. You can also broil it for four minutes or so for an extra-melty cheese effect. Top with some basil and enjoy. Don’t forget the wine.
- Heat the chicken and Italian dressing in a 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook chicken until browned and just cooked through, about 5 minutes depending on thickness of chicken.
- Add the box of pasta and the entire jar of marinara. Fill the empty marinara jar with water and add to the skillet. If using a stockpot, use 2 cups water. Lightly stir the mixture to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender to your liking.
- Cover with grated Parmesan and then shredded mozzarella. No need to stir. Continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Top with chopped basil (optional) and serve! Enjoy!