- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium jalapeno
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 carton Swanson Chicken Broth
- 1 tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. corn tortilla strips
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Diced avocado (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
With lots of fantastic soup recipes flying around the internet these days, it’s often tasking selecting one out of so many. However, you don’t need to go through all those stress. Why? Because we’ve done that for you. All you need is follow us very carefully. This brings us to our soup recipe for today – which is Chicken Tortilla Soup! Do you have a chicken lying around lazily in your refrigerator? Or have you, on the other hand, been craving for a chicken soup without knowing how to get about it? Good news for you! We’ve found the perfect finger-licking recipe for you. You’re definitely gonna fall over heels for it. Chicken Tortilla Soup is a very straightforward recipe. It’s easy to prepare with just five steps (and in less than 30 minutes, your chicken tortilla soup will be smiling at you). This recipe is made with only 15 simple ingredients – chicken, black beans, cilantro, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, corn, etc. Apart from being delicious, this recipe also accommodates all sorts of dietary needs. The recipe can be prepared as gluten-free (by using gluten-free tortilla chips), dairy-free (by eliminating the cheese and sour cream), keto (by replacing beans and tortilla chips with chicken thighs), or as vegetarian (by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth). Isn’t that amazing? Therefore, whichever way you want it, just add and remove some ingredients, and you’re good to go. Another essential feature of this recipe, which makes it so good is the toppings! You don’t want to skip or be stingy with the toppings! Cheese and tortilla chips or strips are added to the soup at the end to thicken the soup base and to give the soup a luxurious and sumptuous feel. This recipe could be served as either a main dish or side dish. Therefore, get your chicken ready and other ingredients ready, and let’s prepare a finger-licking Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- To prepare chicken tortilla soup, start by heating olive oil in a large saucepot over medium heat, and add onion, jalapeno and sauté. Allow the veggies to cook for about 6-7 minutes or until they are nearly soft and tender.
- Stir intermittently. Now, add garlic, chili powder, and cumin and sauté for 1 minute.
- Gently pour in your chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and corn, and then bring the mixture to simmer.
- Now, reduce the heat to medium, then cover and let simmer again for 5-10 minutes. Stir in your chicken, black beans, cilantro, and lime. Then season soup with salt and pepper – to taste.
To make your tortilla strips, slice the corn tortillas in half and cut into pieces. Make sure the strips are of uniform size. Pour vegetable oil into a saucepan and heat to 350 degrees. Then fry half of the strips at a time until crisp or about 2 minutes. Collect and strain the pieces using a Spicer. Then transfer to paper towels, drain and season with salt. Ladle the soup into the bowls, top with tortilla chips, cheese or sour cream, and avocado (optional). Bon appetite!