Serves: 6 people
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 10 minutes plus chilling time
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 3 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder, plus 2 tablespoons for rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup GOOD GOOD No Added Sugar Belgian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- One 4 ounce bar semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons GOOD GOOD No Added Sugar Belgian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12×17 inch baking pan with nonstick spray, then line it with parchment paper . Spray the top of the parchment paper as well.
- Make the cake: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and 1/3 cup granulated sugar together in a medium bowl on high speed for 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, remaining sugar, and vanilla extract together until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Sift the flour, 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together into a large bowl. Pour the melted butter, coffee, and egg yolk mixture over the dry ingredients. Beat everything together on medium speed until completely combined.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold in the egg whites until completely combined. Avoid over-mixing and deflating those whites. Batter will be very light.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan. It will be a very thin layer. Bake for 10 minutes or until the top of the cake gently springs back when touched with your finger. Do NOT over-bake.
- As the cake bakes, place a piece of parchment paper (larger than the cake) or a thin kitchen/tea towel flat on the counter. Using a fine mesh sieve, dust parchment/towel with 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, quickly run a knife around the edges to loosen it. Immediately invert it onto the parchment/towel. Peel off the parchment paper that was on the bottom of the cake as it baked. Starting with the narrow end, begin tightly rolling the hot cake up with the parchment/towel. Do this slowly and gently. The cake will be warm. Allow the cake to cool completely rolled up in the parchment/towel.
- Make the whipped cream: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, about 2-3 minutes. Then beat in the mascarpone.
- Slowly and gently unroll the cake.
- Spread a thin layer of GOOD GOOD No Added Sugar Belgian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread onto the cake then follow with the whipped cream evenly on top, leaving about a 1/2 inch border around the cake. Gently roll the cake back up, without the parchment/towel this time.
- Place on a wire rack set on a baking sheet (to catch the extra ganache). Set aside on the counter or in the refrigerator as you prepare the ganache.
- Make the ganache topping: Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it begins to gently simmer. Pour over chocolate, then let it sit for 2-3 minutes to gently soften the chocolate. Slowly stir until completely combined and chocolate has melted. Mix in GOOD GOOD No Added Sugar Belgian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread until smooth.
- Pour ganache all over the cake roll and top with chopped hazelnuts.
- Refrigerate for at least 30-60 minutes before slicing and serving.