- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 9 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 5 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 4 - 7 tablespoons milk (or evaporated milk)
Peanut butter & jelly. Rice & pudding. Chocolate & mayonnaise? What? Not exactly two things that are often placed together are they? I know, I know, you're probably thinking "Surely you're not going to show me a recipe that puts these two things together." but the thing is...I am. And not only that but it's one of the most delicious recipes that you'll have heard of in a long time.
The recipe likely originated sometime during the Great Depression (explains the unlikely ) but has been a staple of those who tasted it for some time. You probably have a parent or grandparent that has tasted this delicacy before and will give it their whole hearted recommendation. Though it's an unlikely pairing chocolate mayonnaise cake is a dessert you may find yourself going back to again and again.
One thing I'd have to say is don't knock it until you've tried it. So how does one go about making a chocolate mayonnaise cake? Well the process is actually pretty simple. You'll only need a few ingredients (seven in total) to get started on this unique delicacy. What you'll need is flour, vanilla extract, baking soda, sugar, cocoa powder, whole milk, and then of course mayonnaise.
Then you put it all together just like you would with any other cake and you'll end up with a delicious treat. Feel free to top it off with your favorite chocolate frosting (but feel free to try something else if you have it in mind) for a truly mind blowing dessert. So while chocolate and mayonnaise is probably not what you had in mind when you first thought of cooking a tasty dessert you might be surprised to find that this becomes your new favorite dish. So give it a try and see what you think! My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda together. Add milk, mayonnaise, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Remove cake and let cool.
- To prepare icing: Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat butter, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt together until smooth in large bowl. Add powdered sugar in two additions, beating until smooth each time, scraping sides as needed.
- Slowly beat in milk a tablespoon or two at time, until frosting reaches desired consistency. Frosting should be light and fluffy and easily spreadable.
- Frost cooled cake and serve. If icing is made with evaporated milk, cake can be stored on the counter at room temperature.