- 3 large eggs, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons gelatin powder (1 envelope/.25 oz)
- 4 oz chopped dark chocolate (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
Chocolate peppermint chiffon pie, this recipe already gave itself away with its catchy and sweet name. The combination of rich chocolate and refreshing peppermint has never gone wrong, having it in this chocolate peppermint chiffon pie is nothing less than heavenly. Chocolate peppermint chiffon pie is a sweet and easy-to-make dessert.
Its taste, texture, and flavors are definitely some of the things that will sweep your feet. The texture is like that of mousse, that lighter and fluffier cousin of pudding. If you’re anticipating a large guest to host, serving the chocolate peppermint chiffon pie as the dessert can never go wrong. It will happen that most of the guests will surely request for the recipe before leaving.
I am a witness, it was so embarrassing that day, with around 4 friends asking for the recipe not long after taking the dessert. The chiffon pie filling is just like that of a mousse, they are made firm by gelatin as it requires no baking. The gelatin portion gives the chiffon pie the needed consistency when it is used rightly. The chiffon pie here has a fluffy and light texture, which makes it deliciously light. The gelatin added will make it easy to slice through, and the texture makes it yummy and melt in the mouth.
The chiffon pie recipe is freezer-friendly, as it only requires keeping it the refrigerator for long hours. It is a no-bake recipe. The fillings are made to set up for long, after which it can be top with whipped cream and finely crushed peppermint candies. Chiffon pie has a base that is pudding-like as it made with egg yolks, a lot of chocolate, and milk. The base is the start of the fillings, after which the gelatin, egg white meringue, and whipped cream are added to complete the filling. Getting store-bought crust gives the pie a crispy texture to the already creamy filling texture. You can also decide to make your own crust. Any crust that offers a crispy layer is good. A chocolate crumb crust is also an option. Since the graham cracker crusts are readily available, i always go for the crust. Not using a crust or in the absence of it, the fillings can pour in a cup, in which it is no more a pie.
Preparing the chiffon pie is our aim. The ingredients include large eggs, sugar, milk, gelatin powder, chopped chocolate, peppermint extract, graham cracker pie crust, salt, and heavy cream. It should be noted that the preparation of the recipe should be quantified. i.e., it must be measured according to the amount needed.
- The filling is needed to be prepared first, to a medium bowl, add egg yolks, sugar, and milk. Whisk them until they combine well.
- To another bowl, make the gelatin by adding milk and the gelatin powder. Mix well and make it is soft. Pour the medium bowl content to a saucepan on little heat, and add in the chopped chocolate. Heat it until the chocolate has melted and remove when it starts forming bubbles.
- Pour into a new bowl. Add in the softened gelatin mix to the chocolate removed and stir till completely into each other. The vanilla extract, salt, and peppermint extract can then be added, after which refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Using the double boiler, add the egg whites and sugar. After it simmers, beat the egg white to stiff peaks for 5 minutes. Also, beat the heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- To the initial filling, i.e., the chocolate mix, fold the egg whites, and the heavy cream. To the crust, pour the final mix and refrigerate for more than 5 hours until it is firm. Top with peppermint candies and whipped cream. Enjoy the fluffy and delicious chocolate peppermint chiffon pie.