- 1 cup cornmeal*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt*
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn, thawed & drained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked until crispy and diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, minced (see Tips & Tricks above for a note about controlling the heat level)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, DIVIDED
- Firstly, With the oven rack in the center position, preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9- by 13- inch baking dish and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the corn, sour cream, and milk and stir to combine. Blend in the butter, black pepper, cumin, most of the bacon, most of the jalapeños, and 1/2 cup of the cheese until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Smooth the top and sprinkle with the remaining bacon, jalapeños, and 1 cup cheese. In conclusion, Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the center is set and the top is golden brown.