Serves: 24 people
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 (7-ounce) box Odense Almond Paste, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups fresh whole cranberries (washed and drained) or frozen
- 2/3 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk and 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
Sweet Odense Almond Paste combined with tart cranberries and oats make these squares a flavorful breakfast treat or snack.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x13 pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper so sides overhang. (This helps to lift the whole cake out for cutting into squares.)
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine grated Odense Almond Paste, sugar, butter, flour, almond meal/flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Process until the texture of small crumbs. (This step can be done with a pastry blender, but the texture will not be as fine.) Pour contents into a large bowl.
- In the same food processor (don't wash out), combine oats, cranberries, and orange rind. Process until roughly chopped. Add to almond mixture and mix.
- Add yogurt and eggs to the processor and mix until well-combined. Pour into the flour mixture and beat with a spoon until dough forms. Add dough to the pan and evenly press into the same thickness.
- If desired, brush the top with milk and sprinkle it with sugar. Bake for 28 to 32 minutes until the top is golden and firm to touch. Cool on the wire rack.