- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 24 oz chicken broth (or water)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Green onion, sliced, optional garnish
Dirty rice? If you give the name a thought, and you are in to look, you might not wanna try this yummy recipe out. But if you want big, bold flavors, then you need to start planning how to prepare your next meal. Yes, dirty rice is the next meal I'm referring to! This delicious one-pot meal deserves a spot on your table. Nothing is as comfortable as this food on the days you are exhausted. The addition of liver and ground beef gives it a dirty look.
So, it is not what you are thinking! Not the messy stuff you are thinking about. You will enjoy this classic Cajun rice loaded with flavor from Cajun seasonings, ground meat, and the holy trinity of onions, celery, and bell pepper. If you are not a lover of the liver, not to worry yourself, you can use ground beef in combination with pork. Dirty rice has been for ages and comes with tons of flavor you can ever imagine. Very simple and easy to make; within 30 minutes, be ready to eat your meal. Even though it might not be the prettiest of a dish, it is still a hot and comforting dish to serve your family. You gonna love this!
To prepare this recipe in just 30 minutes, you need to start with brown meat, drain the excess grease, add your vegetable and saute! Until they become tender. Once that is done, add your seasonings, rice, and chicken broth, and ensure they boil. You need to lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, once the rice is cooked, serve! That's how easy and convenient it is to make this delicious food. It is enough to make your dinner worthwhile. Your household will love this special meal! In case you are not ready to take your dirty rice, you can store it in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator. It will last for 5 to 6 days in your fridge. To keep the flavor and quality of your dirty rice intact, do not store your leftover rice for no longer than 3 months. Once you bring it out of your refrigerator, reheat it and microwave it for about 60 seconds. You need to keep stirring it often. You can as well heat it on the stovetop in a skillet and warm it through.
Note: Your Cajun seasoning is essential to prepare this particular dish. It is the main spice you need, you can use "slap ya mama" Cajun seasoning or "Tony Chachere's creole seasoning." They will all work perfectly for this recipe. If they are not available, you can make use of seasoning salt or even old bay seasoning. If you make use of one of these seasoning, be ready to add more cayenne pepper to bump up the heat.
Note: To get the best of dirty rice, do not skip on the meat, stir your rice occasionally as it simmers to prevent the bottom part from burning. To ensure the rice cook through, use a tight-fitting lid. Enjoy this dirty rice recipe as much as you can. You will definitely not look rice the same way again once you taste this delicious rice. Enjoy!!!
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (like a dutch oven), over medium-high heat, cook ground meat until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Add in onion, green bell pepper and celery. Cook, stiring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and Cajun seasoning, cook for 30 seconds. Add rice, chicken broth, and thyme sprigs.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover pot with tight fitting lid and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt or additonal Cajun seasoning, to taste. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Enjoy!