- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons peanut, vegetable, or olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced onion, about 1 small onion
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups diced mixed vegetables, such as bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, etc.
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions, white and green parts divided
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups cooked overnight jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Dash of ground white pepper, optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Who doesn’t like a good bowl of fried rice, especially rice mixed with the savory flavor of eggs, vegetables, and soy sauce – seriously who doesn’t? Everyone should have a good fried rice recipe in their cookbooks.
This is ours, and we are generous enough to share it with you – you’re welcome. This recipe is like Beyoncé’s verse on Megan’s song – yes, that’s how great it is. Egg fried rice is one of the easiest to make and you only need 4 ingredients; rice, eggs, vegetables, and soy sauce. These ingredients are healthy, filled with flavor and mouth-watering.
This recipe is classic and it tastes just fantastic with your favorite Chinese dishes. For this recipe, packaged pre-cooked rice was used. The packages usually contain 2 cups of cooked rice, so 2 packages should suffice. The demerit is that it is a bit expensive than buying rice and doing the cooking yourself. Also, you can use day-old rice.
The reason is simple; freshly cooked rice is moist and steamy which will result in the fried rice being mushy. I recommend cooking the rice yourself and leaving it in the fridge till the next day to make it much drier and separate the rice grains, but hey, whichever’s convenient for you. Also, get creative with vegetables and combine corn, peas, and carrots or any other veggie of your choice. If you’ve been looking for a go-to dish for busy weekends this is for you.
Once you get a hang of this method you’ll be able to turn day-old rice with other necessary ingredients into a yummy meal. This is guaranteed to be your family’s favorite once you make this for them using this special recipe. Why go to Chinese food restaurants when you can make this at home. So grab all the required ingredients and let’s get started!
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and beat them together. Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the beaten eggs and scramble them for about a minute. Transfer the eggs to a dish and turn off the heat.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil into a wok over high heat. Add the onions and cook them for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the mixed vegetables and white parts of the scallions and cook for 2 minutes. Season the vegetables with a pinch of salt.
- Add the cooked rice into the pan or wok and cook for several minutes, until the rice is heated through. If there are large clumps of rice, break them apart with the back of your spatula.
- Add the soy sauce, five-spice powder, dash of white pepper (if using) and sesame oil and stir to distribute the seasonings. Add the scrambled eggs and stir to mix again. Garnish with remaining sliced scallions. Serve immediately.