- 1 small eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup seasoned fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices bread
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce, plus more for dipping
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 2 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated
- Softened butter for spreading
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Fresh basil for garnish
The perfect combination of eggplant parmesan and grilled cheese. It’s a little bit of heaven here mixing these two cheesy delicious dishes. This is a perfect turnaround for making something new and for those cheese lovers. You are going to love this.
You can even add chicken for an extra protein and flavor or you can make it light without it. Up to you how you want to enjoy this. It’s like a sandwich so it won’t take you long, we will need several ingredients to prepare our eggplant but other than that is easy to make this recipe and can be done for any time of the day.
As it won’t take much of your time to prepare, you can have it at any moment. We are going to need sliced eggplant into round slices, bread crumbs to use before frying them, parmesan cheese, flour, dried basil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper, eggs, and olive oil. Other ingredients are bread, marinara sauce, cheese, butter, and basil leaves for garnishing.
You can let it cook until it gets the right color and texture that you love from your toasts. Get some cheese and marinara sauce for dipping. This right here is a perfect sandwich the cheese melting in your sandwich with the marinara sauce it could almost taste like a pizza, you have the best of both dishes grilled cheese sandwich topped with eggplant parmesan, it justs gives you a kick in the paladar and it’s delicious, is like you are replacing tomatoes with a higher quality vegetable.
This proves that eggplant is a more versatile vegetable than we want to think of it. The list is just huge of all the things you can make with eggplant and not one is a bad choice. This sandwich is great for a light breakfast or could be done for a light dinner as well. There is no wrong way with cheese. And it’s true what they say, everything tastes better with cheese on it.
- The first thing to do is to mix all the ingredients together, take eggs in a bowl, and whisk them separately. And in another bowl add basil, red pepper, salt, and pepper, together with breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and flour.
- Heat a pan at medium heat and spread some olive oil to it. Pick the round sliced eggplant, drip them in the egg, and then into the breadcrum mix, make sure it takes the mix and it sets.
- Put breaded eggplant in the pan and cook both sides, making sure it looks golden on each side, give 3 minutes per side to get the desired color and texture. Repeat this with all eggplant slices.
- In another pan at medium heat, spread the butter into it and pour marinara sauce to the bread slices. Add cheese, and then eggplant slices, add one or two, depending on their sizes.
- Add more cheese, marinara sauce, and top it with a slice of bread. Cook the bread, until the cheese starts melting and bread is golden and toasted.