Serves: 5-7 Servings
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
- 3 small eggplant
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh goat cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gouda
- 2 teaspoons nigella seeds
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Cut eggplant into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Toss the slices with 1 tablespoon salt and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Lay the thawed sheets of puff pastry on top of one another. Roll out pastry until it's just big enough to fit a half-sheet tray.
- Rinse eggplant under cold water to remove the excess salt and blot dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Line up eggplant slices on the remaining baking sheets.
- Place tray in the preheated 400F oven to bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pans once after 10 minutes. The eggplant will grow tender while the pastry becomes firm to the touch. There shouldn't be any color on the pastry at this time. The eggplant and the puff pastry will complete their first bake at the same time.
- After the first bake, remove trays from oven. Increase oven temperature to 500°F . Evenly spread goat cheese on the puff pastry. Sprinkle shredded Gouda and nigella seeds over the goat cheese. Shingle the par-cooked eggplant slices to cover the tart. Drizzle 2 tablespoons honey all over eggplant. Return tart to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the pastry is browned and crisp all the way through.
- Finish tart with remaining honey and garnish with herbs if desired. Cut into desired portion sizes and serve right away.