- 1 green apple
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
- Caramel sauce
- Cinnamon sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Blue food dye
- Red food dye
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove pie crusts from refrigerator so they warm up slightly. This will make them easier to work with.
- Peel the skin off the green apples, discard. Continue peeling so you have bunch of white peels in your bowl.
- Dust work area with flour and slightly roll out crusts. From one pie crust, cut out 6 rectangles for the cookies. Cut other crust into 1/2 inch strips.
- Place rectangular crusts on cookie sheet. Spread a thing layer of caramel sauce on each cookie, followed by a pile of white apple peels and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar. Using the 1/2 inch strips, create a lattice pattern over each cookie.
- Dye 1 tablespoon of melted butter blue, and remaining 2 tablespoons red. Brush the blue and red butter on the cookies, making them look like an American flag with blue butter in the upper left hand corner, and red elsewhere. Sprinkles with more cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until cookies are a golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy!