- 1 large sweet onion (we suggest a Vidalia onion)
- For The Batter
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounces beer
- For The Flour
Don't even pretend like a Bloomin' Onion isn't one of your favorite things in the world. This recipe will give you that classic Outback taste. You're welcome!
1) Cut the top off the onion and peel. Cut 12 to 16 vertical wedges going horizontally and vertically. Do not cut through the root. Use your hands to separate the onion pieces from each other.
2) In a bowl, whisk together batter ingredients until fully combined.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together flour ingredients until fully combined.
4) Dredge onion first in flour, then in batter, making sure the onion is completely coated.
5) Heat oil in a deep pot until it reaches 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Carefully add onion to hot oil and fry for 3 minutes, flipping halfway through. Onion should be crispy and golden brown.
6) Carefully remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
7) Serve with dipping sauce of choice (we recommend the recipe found here) and enjoy!