Serves: 3 people
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large French loaf
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, more to taste
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- Chopped cilantro
It's GIANT shrimp banh mi!
- In a large mason jar mix together sugar, rice vinegar, salt and boiling water until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add carrots and cucumbers to mason jar and shake until fully coated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and voila! Quick pickled veggies.
- In a bowl mix together garlic, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice and lime zest. Pour over shrimp and mix until shrimp is fully coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place shrimp in skillet in a single layer. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side until pink and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and sriracha to make sriracha mayo. Taste and add more sriracha if desired.
- Cut French loaf open and broil until slightly toasted. Spread sriracha mayo on one side. Top with shrimp, quick pickled veggies, sliced jalapenos and cilantro.
- Carefully cut banh mi, serve and enjoy!