- Cake mix of choice
- Vanilla frosting
- 1 cup green candy melts
- 1 cup pink candy melts
- 1 cup purple candy melts
- 1 cup blue candy melts
- Prepare cake according to package instructions. Frost with vanilla frosting and allow cake to cool. For this cake, it's best to make a layered cake.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Melt each candy melt color separately. You can do this using the double boiler method on the stove, or melting in the microwave. In the microwave, heat at only 50% power first for 1 minute, then on 30 second intervals after that, stirring each time until candy melts are melted and smooth.
- Pour spoonfuls of candy melts on wax paper. Using a paintbrush, quickly spread the candy melts on the wax paper, creating a brush effect. Continue until you have all the designs you want. Allow brushstroke frosting to cool completely.
- Carefully remove frosting from wax paper. Place a dot of frosting on the bottom and attach to the front of the cake. Continue layering the pieces over each other until all the brushstroke pieces have been used and cake is to your satisfaction. Serve and enjoy!