Serves: 2 people
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 4 slices bread
- Shredded jack cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Purple cabbage (for purple food dye)
- Beets (for red food dye)
- Baking soda (for blue food dye)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Taste the rainbow grilled cheese! These recipes show you how to make natural food dye, so you can feel better about what you're eating.
- Start off by making your food dyes! Chop purple cabbage and beets. Place in separate pots and cover with water. Bring water to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer. Continue simmering until the water is colorful! This gives you a purple dye and a red dye.
- To make blue food dye, add baking soda to purple dye until the desired color is achieved.
- Separate jack cheese into 3 bowls. Add one food dye to each bowl. Mix until combined and cheese is colorful.
- Layer red cheese, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, and purple cheese on one slice of bread. Cover with the second slice.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and grill for about 3 minutes on both sides, or until bread is golden and cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!