- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pink and blue food coloring
- White frosting, store-bought or homemade
What's a fun dessert to make and then devour? Unicorn Donuts! They're baked, so you don't have to feel guilty. And they're so cute.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a donut tray with cook spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, oil, and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and lemon extract; continue beating until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold half of the dry mixture into the wet.
- Mix in 1 cup of milk and lemon zest. Then fold in the last half of the dry ingredients.
- Scoop donut batter into a piping bag or a ziplock bag with a corner cut off. Pipe batter into donut tray. Bake for 15 minutes, or until donuts are golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While donuts cool, make the glaze. In a bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, hot milk, vanilla extract and pink food color. If the glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar. Too thick, add more milk.
- In a separate bowl, add blue food coloring to half of the white frosting. Scoop both frostings into the same piping bag to make a color swirl. A star tip is recommended for piping.
- When donuts have cooled, dip the top half in pink glaze, cover with sprinkles, and pipe a swirl in the middle to create a unicorn horn.
- Serve and enjoy!