- 1 olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon minced onion, red, white or yellow
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, white button or cremini
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 Morningstar Hot & Spicy breakfast sausage patty, heated through and diced
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Healthy Spinach and Mushroom Scramble was probably not the best name for this recipe. The name makes it sound like all this recipe is, is spinach and mushrooms mixed together. Which to most doesn't sound the most appetizing... It's actually a whole lot more than that. And even though it's “healthy”, it's actually delicious. Trust me. The reason this recipe is actually amazing is it's eggs scrambled with onions, mushrooms, and sausage.
The flavors blend together to make a gourmet breakfast. Something you'd get at a cute little breakfast café. It doesn’t take long either. A tip to make it even quicker is to sauté the mushrooms and onions ahead of time. Then you can make this breakfast in minutes.
This recipe is actually quicker and tastier than something like pancakes (which are a go to for me). And it's so much more nutritious. I love this recipe because of how much protein it contains. Protein is so important and most people don't get enough of it. Did you know the average man should have 56 grams of protein and the average woman should have 46? And this is calculated for a sedentary lifestyle. If you're active you need even more.
This recipe is super simple to make. The first thing you do is sauté the mushrooms in a skillet on medium heat. Then add the spinach, and once it starts to wilt add the eggs. After that just scramble it all together then add your precooked sausage. She uses veggie sausage but you can use whatever you want. And there you have it, the best breakfast ever… in my opinion anyway…
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and mushrooms and a small pinch of kosher salt. Stir and sauté until the onions are soft and the mushrooms edges are golden.
- Meanwhile, crack 2 eggs in to a mixing bowl. Add a pinch of kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Use a whisk to beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Next add in the spinach and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Stir and sauté until it begins to wilts. Scoot the spinach mushroom mixture off to the side and reduce the heat under the pan to medium-low.
- Then pour in the beaten eggs. Stir and fold the eggs, cooking them until starting to set. Working the spinach and mushrooms into the eggs as they start cook.
- Once the eggs are fully cooked, add in the diced sausage and heat through. Serve the scramble in a bowl, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of freshly grated parmesan and micro greens.