Andre Prost Coconut Milk and Gruyere cheese are a perfect match for this classic dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9 x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan bring Coconut Milk, salt, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and pepper to taste, to a boil. Turn off the heat and set it aside. Note: the mixture will taste salty alone but not when combined with potatoes.
- Wash potatoes well, slice thinly and cover with cold water. Set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly until mixture turns a golden brown color.
- Slowly whisk in the herbed coconut milk, a bit at a time. Stirring, bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes and layer 1/3 on the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping each slice about halfway. Pour 1/3 coconut sauce over potatoes and sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times, only reserving the last cup of cheese for later.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered 15-20 additional minutes. If potatoes are soft and a darker color is desired, broil potatoes until cheese is nicely browned. Serve Herbed Au Gratin Potatoes and enjoy!