- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ medium scotch bonnet pepper (if you cannot find, use habanero pepper, with stems removed)
- ½ medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 small red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons hot ground chili pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 ½ cups medium grain rice
- In a blender, combine tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper and onions; puree. Set aside half the mixture in a bowl. Add in bell peppers to blender and pulse until smooth. Stir in ½ that was set aside.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat, add blended vegetables along with salt, ground chilli pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaves, ginger and thyme. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the rice until well combined, then reduce the heat to low. Cover pot and cook for about 45 minutes. Check after 30 , if rice has too much sauce, remove the lid to cook off excess sauce. If dry stir in 1-2 cups of water. Allow the rice at the bottom to char a bit to infuse it with smoky flavor.