Serves: 2 people
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 2 medium ribeye steaks
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons gochujang paste
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 grated sweet apple
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 4 thick slices of bread from a large loaf
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ¼ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 75 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ small red onion
- 2 small jalapenos
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
It’s toasted. It’s cheesy. It has garlic mayo, people. Add in the Korean style, marinated ribeye steak and I know we all just found our new favorite sandwich! Try your best not to drool while you learn the secret to the best sandwich you’ve never had yet. The total prep and cook time for this tasty sammy is going to run you a little less than an hour and a half.
- First you need to take two medium fresh ribeye steaks and stick them in the freezer for about 30 minutes or so to firm them up, making them easier to slice.
- Then, take them out and slice them thinly into strips. You’ll toss those strips into a bowl with your marinade - 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp gochujang, I thumb-sized piece of minced ginger, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp rice wine, 2 minced cloves of garlic, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 grated apple (including peel), and 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil. Mix it all together, cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- You can marinate for longer, but if you do so be sure to put it in the refrigerator. Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil on high heat in a large pan, add the steak and fry for 4-5 minutes. You’ll want them to be just starting to caramelize. After it’s done, remove and let it rest for a couple minutes.
- In the same pan, cook ½ red bell pepper slices and ½ yellow bell pepper slices for 2-3 minutes. While you’re doing that, preheat your sandwich press on high heat. Brush melted butter on one side of four slices of bread. Put bread butter-side-down on a plate, and top with the marinated, cooked steak, peppers, ¼ tsp sesame seeds, and grated cheddar cheese.
- Finish with sliced red onions and jalapenos, and then put the other two slices of bread (butter-side-up) on top. Cook both sandwiches in the press for 3-4 minutes until the bread is golden brown. Mix 3 tbsp mayo with one clove of minced garlic. Open up the sandwich and drizzle the garlic mayo, as well as 2 tbsp of sweet-chili sauce. Now serve hot and enjoy!