- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed and drained of excess liquid
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella divided
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Chopped basil for garnish
Stuffed mushrooms that just taste like lasagna, looking for a lighter way of making lasagna or trying to replace the pasta well here we have a mushroom recipe, where will be using portobello mushrooms and fill them with our regular ingredients to create this mushroom lasagna recipe.
Get your hands and stomach ready for this gluten-free and low carb version of lasagna, you can get it done with less trouble, and still will have something delicious to eat. Great for small groups or just for two. We choose Portobello mushroom as they are big and have a bulky texture.
They work perfectly for stuffing, these big mushrooms work for many different recipes where they just glow as the main dish or ingredient. .. We want to avoid airtight containers to storage portabello mushrooms as they can get spoilage and instead of using water to wash them, we will rather use a damp towel and clean them. To get started with this recipe another thing you need to know is that we won’t be using meat in this recipe.
It is a meatless lasagna recipe, so we were not joking when we said it was light and low carb lasagna.
- Clean the mushrooms.Turn the mushroom’s cane, and trim the cavity from the bottom of the mushrooms with a spoon. To avoid the mushrooms from getting mushy it’s better to use a wire rack on nonstick baking sheet.
- Prepare the filling, which consists of ricotta cheese or can also use cottage cheese, drained spinach, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of mace or nutmeg. Mix everything up, and this will the filling for the mushrooms.
- Add the mix to the mushrooms and then top them with marinara sauce and extra mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Also season with extra salt or pepper if needed.
- Now, mushrooms are ready to be cooked. Place them on the rack and let them bake for 20-30 minutes, once the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are tender. Remove it from the oven.
- Garnish them with extra basil, cheese, or whatever you like. Enjoy them warm and thinking of what to eat them with, as usual, garlic bread is a fantastic side dish for lasagna and it will also go well with these portabello stuffed lasagnas.