Serves: 4 people
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups grated mild Cheddar cheese + extra for garnish
- In a small Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, add the mashed potatoes, stock, salt and pepper (and optional cayenne). Cook over low heat until the potatoes and stock have come together
- To make soup super-smooth, remove the pot from heat, and use an immersion blender at this point to purée the soup.
- Add the yogurt and 1-1/2 cups grated cheese. Gently stir until the cheese melts, and the soup turns a pale orange. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls, and top with a sprinkling of black pepper and a bit more cheese. Serve hot.