- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pre-made pie crust
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- Combine sugar and corn starch in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 7-9 minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil 1 minute.
- Gradually stir 1/2 cup sugar mixture into beaten egg yolks with whisk. When combined, gently stir the egg mixture into the remaining hot mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°F and is thickened. Whisk in lemon juice, butter, and lemon zest. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes before pouring into pie crust.
- Using a standing mixer or hand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl at low speed until foamy. Continue beating at a high speed, gradually adding 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy. Spread meringue over lemon filling, completely sealing to the edge of the crust and mounding slightly in the center.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!